Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Week 10 in MiaoLi

Time is a luxury I can't afford, but as always, I'll do my best :)

I'm grateful. The work has been increasingly difficult lately due to the festivities surrounding and during the Chinese New Year, but I'm grateful. We see miracles on a daily basis, and the Lord is with us.
 


 

Wen Agong. I must share of an experience we had this week with Wen Huan Ji. He's the older man who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. His current situation is anything but ideal; he doesn't know how much time he has left, and the time he does have is not spent in comfort. He hasn't been keeping his commitments to read from the Book of Mormon and pray daily as of late. I think he had lost hope and didn't see any point in doing something seemingly so trivial. He was beyond caring. He always gives us the same answer when we ask him about his commitments: "Ouer hui" (On occasion). When we try to press for more details he gets offended and has a little outburst. This last time things were different. His response was the same and he had a little outburst as he tends to, but I could not let that be the end of it. I've come to love this man. I've felt of God's love for this man. I've seen the love his family has for him. I knew the gospel could help him--bring him the comfort and peace, joy even, that he so desperately needs in his life. I felt prompted to press him further. I asked him why we wanted him to read and pray. I asked him what was preventing him from so doing, and then we testified. We testified of the love of those present and of the love of God. We testified of the Savior and of our need for Him. I couldn't read his expression at this point. I thought he looked like he might be upset, but then I saw something that awed me...there was a tear...there was a tear in the eye of this wonderful man, a man who had been dealt a difficult hand, a man who had known suffering and fear, and man who now, for the first time in a long time...had hope. I asked him if he would commit to read and pray daily. There was another outburst, but this time it was an outburst of joy. He shouted that of course he would. He would everyday. Everyday. He tried to explain his happiness, but couldn't quite find the words. Though, it could be seen in his eyes--those eyes that now had something to look forward to. He then insisted that we come at least three times a week to see him. There was to be no arguing the point (in the past he was very difficult to set up a time to visit and not all that enthusiastic about it either). And so it is, we will go and see him at least three times a week. How did such a change come over this man of courage? The Spirit has great power. It changes us; it changes our desires. It changes our very natures, but it cannot influence us if we do not receive it. 2 Ne. 33:1 teaches us that the Spirit brings truth unto the hearts of men. We must accept it. We must be humble enough to receive God's loving correction. Wen Agong's heart broke in love and gratitude, and the Spirit wrought a mighty change therein. I told him I didn't know if the Lord would heal him all at once in a response to his willingness to follow Him, but that he would be blessed whether it be with peace or comfort or simply happiness. Then I was prompted to say something that astounded me. I told him that I didn't know that God wouldn't heal him of all his ailments...that He very well could. The Spirit came over me and testified of my own words as I said those words. Oh, how grateful I am to represent the Lord in His great work.

This was but one of the miracles we see on a daily basis here in the service of the Lord. He is at the head of this great work. He leads us today through His living prophet: Thomas S. Monson. 

"Life is like an old-time rail journey--delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride." --Jenkins Lloyd Jones

Happy Chinese New Year!
 
P-day adventures
 
Off-roading with  my bike
 


Zone P-day activity: Infection tag near an abandoned building--like City Museum in St. Louis...only not people safe--and surrounding forest. 




 

I love you all! 

All is well,
Elder Dickson

For additional study and uplifting:
 
Hebrews 12:1-3 (Focusing on joy--on the Savior--can help us endure the difficulties we all face in life)
12 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
President Russell M. Nelson's talk:"Joy and Spiritual Survival"
 

I couldn't tell most of the happenings that happened the past two weeks as there was simply too much that happened and not enough time to write about it but I am keeping a detailed journal.  Here is an excerpt from last week and this week.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment