Monday, March 20, 2017

Week 18 in MiaoLi

It was an exciting week. Actually, even today has already been exciting. Elder Raley tried to pull money out at an ATM using his personal card, and....it ate it and didn't want to give it back....after a lot of trouble-shooting and working with customer services, we learned that the machine took and destroyed his card due to his entering of the incorrect PIN#. They told us he would need to get a new one from his bank in America. I feel bad for him, but all will work out. 
 
"Family Reunion" 
 

 


P-day at the Beach last week
 



There are lots of crabs here!
 



 


Last P-day was wonderful. We went to the beach with a lot of other missionaries and members. It had an almost dream-like quality about it: old and new friends, inspiring and calming music, delicious food, beautiful weather, and some beach football and futbol. It was a blast. I was pleased to meet a member from Taipei. The more I got to know him, the more I liked and respected him: he's 27 years old, served a mission in Canada, went to school at BYU-Hawaii, married in the temple and has a young child. The Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ is working in his life. This is what it's all about. I couldn't stop smiling as his life story was unfolded to me. This is God's plan for us--His children. It's perfect...we aren't, but through Him we attain to greater peace and happiness, oftentimes, than we believed to be possible.

I feel like we were in the right places at the right times for much of this week. We met some incredible new people. We even met a young college student named Dickson. Yes, that is his first name in English. He just about did a flip when he saw my badge. We're set up to meet with him this next week.
 
Out working (Thanks to Hsu Chia Pei for the pictures!)
 

 
Ping Pong Tournament from a few weeks ago








Elder Raley saved me this week. I don't have time for a lot of details, but, in short, it was Elder Raley v. Coke. He came out on top.

The people we talk to always rave on and on about how amazing my Chinese is, but I had an experience this week to keep me humble ;) I was trying to order an ice cream cone at a McDonald's. I tried to ask for the small cone that was 18 NTD, but instead of saying the 18 kuai cone...I asked for an 18 year old ice cream cone...the look she gave me was priceless and in my shock at her response all ability to speak even a lick of Chinese vanished. I was left stuttering over nothing not knowing what to say. It was an awkward minute or two, but we got things figured out. Humility is key. 

Elder Randy D. Funk of the 70 came to visit our mission this week. We met with him at Zone Conference on Wednesday. It was a great blessing. I was able to see many beloved friends from the mission (every companion I've had to date was present not to mention other mission friends and previous mission leaders). I was able to get a front row seat and was blessed to be quite involved in the activities of the day. I received valuable revelation for our area and am excited to see things unfold here going forward.

It rained a lot this week...we may have forgotten our coats and other rain gear at times...we had a lot of fun. Despite being less-effective on our part, it does get across the importance of our message when people see us out like that.

We met a very prepared individual this last week. He's named Roger and has perfect English. He was very engaged as we shared the Message of the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We invited him to read from the Book of Mormon and pray daily that he might know the truth for himself. His response--"Sounds feasible." He also accepted a baptismal date. It was a blessing to meet one so prepared and willing.

Michael is doing so very well. He's prepared and worthy to be baptized. He's going out of the country for a little bit here, but he is excited for his baptismal service that will be held on the 8th of April.

We were stood up and rejected a lot more than normal this past week.  Alma 26:27 "Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success." It's a funny trend in our lives here on earth, and I've noticed it even more on my mission. When everything seems to be going wrong...expect to see miracles. I'm excited for the week ahead. Transfers is this week, but I think Elder Raley and I are fairly safe as he is still in training. 

 Alma 5:26 "And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?" Mosiah 4:9,10,12 "Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend.
10 And again, believe that ye must repent of your sins and forsake them, and humble yourselves before God; and ask in sincerity of heart that he would forgive you; and now, if you believe all these things see that ye do them.
12 And behold, I say unto you that if ye do this ye shall always rejoice, and be filled with the love of God, and always retain a remission of your sins; and ye shall grow in the knowledge of the glory of him that created you, or in the knowledge of that which is just and true."
Repentance is the path to lasting happiness. It is a gift from God, and it is meant to be used on a regular basis. As I repent daily, I am greatly blessed in all things. If you want to be happier in your daily life, I invite you to repent. 
 
 

I love you all!!!

All is well,
Elder Dickson

No comments:

Post a Comment