Monday, April 3, 2017

Week 20 In MiaoLi


 Sharing the gospel message on a train.


Trainer/Trainee follow-up and district leader training meetings were this week up in Taipei. I've come to the conclusion that training Elder Raley is like training Po (the dragon warrior). He's fun, willing to try new things, won't give up and is destined for greatness. He's himself and he's amazing. I also learned that the district leader has a lot of responsibilities I didn't fully understand. It was a little stressful to learn all these things at first, but I was comforted as I stopped and prayed. I'm excited to implement the things I learned this past week.

Elder Raley on P-day

 

We had a new student at English class who is now a new investigator. I asked him how it was that he heard about our class. He responded by telling me he had been given an English tract three years ago at the night market up in Taoyuan. The missionary who gave him that tract has been home for some time now. The lesson to learn here is that no effort is wasted and you never know the full impact of your efforts. 

I played Medieval Academy this past P-day with members of my zone. It was odd, but it was hard to focus on the game as I was thinking about the investigators we would be meeting with that night. I love playing board games, but I think I can wait until I have the opportunity to play again with my family.

Working on a farm

 

It's been interesting, but I've learned a lot of lessons for the benefit of my district this week. Challenges have come up that have led me to seek answers and solutions that later proved to be the solutions for the challenges members of my district were struggling with. 

The Gift of Tongues is real. I was put in a situation this week where I found myself needing to explain the meaning and background behind "the destroying angel" in Doctrine & Covenants 89 and...it worked out.

Most of the zone at lunch last week


 Peanut butter burgers! My brother, Hyrum, would be so excited!

 

One day, a boy was tossing around a baseball in his backyard. He was also working on batting practice. A hit! CRASH! The ball hit his neighbor's window, and it exploded in a display of shattered glass. The boy's heart sank as his neighbor came out to see the cause of the damages. He wasn't terribly upset, but he explained that it was only fair that he pay him to cover the cost of the damages. He demanded justice...but our poor young friend had no such funds and proceeded to cry in fear. Couldn't he just say sorry and that be enough. Unfortunately, sorry wouldn't fix the window. Payment was required. Upon hearing the commotion, the father of the boy came out. He listened calmly as the situation was laid out before him. The neighbor was paid in full. An agreement was made. The terms of the agreement: the boy would do some extra chores around the house to make up for his mistake. He was saved. This is a metaphor we like to use when explaining the Atonement of our Savior. We are all mortal, and none of us are perfect. Alma 34: 9 "For it is expedient that an atonement should be made; for according to the great plan of the Eternal God there must be an atonement made, or else all mankind must unavoidably perish; yea, all are hardened; yea, all are fallen and are lost, and must perish except it be through the atonement which it is expedient should be made." We've "broken the window" and have no way to pay for the damages. We cannot forgive our own sins. Only God can do that. The Savior paid the price for us. He suffered and experienced all we would ever go through. All we must do is accept His offering...His sacrifice on our behalf...His infinite and eternal Atonement (see 3 Nephi 11: 37-39). The invitation to come unto Him and be baptized is an invitation to have a fresh start, a new life, a new hope. It's an invitation made in love, and it is the only way to be saved from our sins and shortcomings. He knows and loves us. Choose to follow Him.

another pair of shoes giving in to the elements  



This week was honestly a little rougher: sleeping on box springs, shoes giving in to the elements, plagues of insects covering the streets (it was like a scene out of The Prince of Egypt), some significant issues in the district, and some disappoints with some of our investigators. Regardless, the work of the Lord goes forward. As I've turned to Him, I've been comforted. Despite it all, I actually quite enjoyed this week, and we saw many miracles.

All is well,
Elder Dickson

(sorry it was kind of rushed this week)

No comments:

Post a Comment