Wednesday, August 17, 2016

8th Week at the MTC during which time I was very sick

This week was tough (little refiner's fire experience). There isn't really any other way to put it. It was a trying week that pushed me to my limits in many ways, but at least this means I'm growing :)

I set a goal this week to get all the way better before flying out to Taiwan so that I might be able to serve the Lord as best as I possibly can. I've been doing all I know how to do in an attempt to reach this goal: eating almost exclusively massive amounts of fresh fruits and vegetables, retiring to bed early, washing my hands frequently, taking medicine and vitamins daily, drinking gallons of water a day, and praying like crazy among other things. Despite my best efforts, it must not have been the Lord's will for me to recover quickly. I experienced chills, a high fever, loss of strength, and intense stomach and chest pains among other ailments. As soon as I would start to get better the next wave would hit; this, combined with the busy schedule we keep, has worn me down this week. My district said they thought I might die on them at one point and my companion had to "drag" me back to the residence early to get some much needed rest one evening. I don't understand why I was so sick this week, but I do trust God, and I do feel that I've become stronger in the process. More recently, I've visited the doctor and received a priesthood blessing in which it was said that I would recover and that I would be able to accomplish the work the Lord has for me to do. The doctor gave me a prescription and advised me to go on a "BRAT" diet. This was the beginning of another adventure.

(Shelby Caldwell's brother-in-law, Andy Brimhall,  who lives in North Carolina, just happened to be running by the temple in Provo, Utah this past week and ran into Reed.)

(Thanks for the photos Brimhall family, as we were running short this week!)



The BRAT diet only allows you to eat Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast/Tortillas. You can also drink water. Lots of it. Unfortunately applesauce and tortillas are not readily available at the MTC, and so, it became the BRT diet for me. I would've much preferred a BLT diet ;) After doing this diet the past couple days, I've come up with some unique ways to combine these three foods: banana jam on toast, rice sandwiches, banana-rice-toast casserole, and a few others. I actually came to really miss the MTC food. I also learned that I've lost over 10 lbs since coming to the MTC. Yesterday, it was starting to seem almost comical, and I nearly passed out. As I am feeling a little bit better, I decided to depart from the prescribed diet a little as of today so as to preserve both my sanity as well as my life. I also wanted to relieve my newfound friends here at the MTC from this unique form of suffering. Upon hearing of my condition, three other elders in my zone determined to join me on the BRAT diet despite my objections, and they've stuck with me all the way. It was actually really nice to have this support group, but I couldn't watch them continue going through this. It was rough, but I've got a great story to tell, and, surprisingly, I am actually feeling significantly better.

I also had some personal tastes of the Savior's Atonement this week. Because Jesus Christ has suffered through and experienced all of the pain, suffering, and heartache we will ever be faced with, He is able to understand us perfectly. He is able to love us perfectly. The other issue I had this week was that most anytime I would see anyone with any sort of ailment, I would think to myself, "I can at least be grateful that I'm not going through...(whatever the ailment was)." Almost without fail, I subsequently encountered all of these things personally: blisters, bloody noses, and various pains. It was a test of patience...but when I turned to God in prayer, He did comfort me. He was with me all through my suffering this week, and I feel like I now have much greater empathy for others than I had prior. One spot of humor in all of this (humor regarding these things was the only way to survive while maintaining a positive attitude at times) came after I explained briefly this trial I was experiencing to the elder who gave me the blessing...He immediately responded by telling me that he was suffering from a serious case of internal bleeding. It was funny at the time, and, as far as I know, this hasn't been an issue for me (unless this explains the stomach or chest pain I've had). I still trust God, and I really am starting to feel much better besides being very tired, but I'm a missionary. Being perpetually tired is just part of the adventure :)

Thank you for the dear elders from all who sent them this week. I very much enjoyed receiving them; they gave me strength. We also got our travel plans this week! We head out of the MTC super early on Tuesday and arrive in Taipei Wednesday afternoon.


I'm very excited to go after hearing about how wonderful it is there these past eight weeks.

(Some google images of Taiwan.  Looks like an exciting place.)







The Taiwan Taipei Temple

 We got a new teacher this week. She's been great so far. We were sad to say goodbye to Sister Kuok, but Sister Haupt has done a good job. She just returned from a mission in the Taiwan, Taipei mission in the last few months and knows a lot about the culture there. We will also be losing our other teacher, the incredible Brother Hay, this Saturday, as it is both his birthday and wedding day. We got to meet his fiance, and we've decided as a district that we approve. We've been so very blessed to have him as our teacher and friend these past eight weeks. The MTC wouldn't have been the same without him. He's a true disciple of Jesus Christ. Not only has he given me wonderful counsel on how I can change and improve for the better, but he also lives it. He's a wonderful example of a servant of the Lord.

I want to thank all who were involved in the creation of Mallory's gift (the inspirational quotes book). I hadn't gotten far enough into it when I emailed last week to fully appreciate the extent of the efforts put into it by so many. Thank you. It has given me strength and hope throughout the week, and I am certain it will continue to do so throughout my mission, and likely, throughout my life. Thank you again. I'm grateful for the support of all who follow my blog. I'm also eternally grateful for our Lord, and Savior, Jesus Christ. We can always turn to Him. He always understands. He will always love us. Trust Him. Seek to do His will, and you will find greater joy than you have ever found before. If you allow Him, He will turn you into the person you want to be. 

I just finished reading a wonderful book entitled "Our Search for Happiness" written by Elder M. Russell Ballard. One quote from it that has really stuck with me this week is "adversity becomes an adventure in the service of the Lord." An adventure it has been, and I'm ready for more.
Investigators:
Wayne - We taught Wayne for the final time on Monday. It was sad to think we won't be able to teach him again, but we're also excited for him. He's found joy in the gospel and is getting baptized on Sunday (he's our teacher, but he role plays as someone he taught on his mission so he's not actually getting baptized). We taught him about the importance of his decision and also about enduring to the end. Both Elder Lawrence and I are grateful we had the chance to teach him.
Amin - We no longer teach her as she is no longer our teacher.
Luo - Our new investigator happens to have the same Chinese name as my companion. We taught her about God and her relationship with Him. She grew up Christian, but she has been inactive in her faith for some time now. We explained to her that God still loved her regardless and always would. We taught her how to pray and she prayed with us to receive help with the stress she is dealing with due to issues at home and a heavy class load. It went really well.

My Chinese is still coming along really well. I'm by no means "fluent," but I feel like I understand enough of the mechanics and underlying structure of the language to really build off of that foundation and actually learn to speak Mandarin fluently in Taiwan. We had Skype TRC this week with a member in Taiwan, Taichung. As it turned out, he's a Chinese teacher by occupation. At first he was very critical and kept laughing whenever we spoke, but we pressed forward and really tried to get to know him and what his needs might be. I finally just asked him what questions or difficulties he had at present in life (which prompted more laughter). He asked why we thought we could help him with his problems as he was twenty-four and we are but eighteen years old. I explained to him as best I could that we couldn't, but that I knew God could. Through Him, with His help, we, a couple of eighteen-year-old men, were able to help Him come closer to Christ and overcome any trials He might face in life. The Spirit was powerful, and he then opened up. We ultimately had a wonderful discussion with him and were able to help him with several of his concerns.

Elder Lawrence was able to give his first blessing this week. A sister in our district is facing a medical situation that could delay her departure for a time. We've all been praying for her and doing everything we can to support her; we get the news tomorrow. On Monday, she asked us to give her a blessing. I could feel God's love for her, and I know God has a plan for her, individually. It will all be well in the end.

We took the LLA (Long Language Assessment) on the computer this week. It was fairly challenging, and, unfortunately, I didn't perform my best, but it's not what's really important. Being able to help and teach God's children effectively is what matters. I don't think you have quite the same Spirit when you talk to a computer as you do when you're talking with one of God's children. It's just not possible. Being sick didn't help much, but I'm still just grateful I'm feeling so much better at present. 

Bonnie L. Oscarson, the General Young Women President, spoke last night. She spoke on adversity and trials and how they can make us into who Heavenly Father wants us to be. Needless to say, it applied to me. She also shared the Currant Bush video. I would invite you to watch it and think about how it applies to your own life. It's a wonderful video. You can see it  yourself by clicking on the words that follow this sentence. Video: The Will of God

Trust God.
Ask God what He wants you to learn from your present struggles. I've been studying Doctrine and Covenants 121 and 122 a lot this week.  Some examples: D&C 121: 7-8 "My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
 And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes." Also 122: 8-9 "The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he? ...fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever."

I'm sorry I don't have more pictures to send this week. I got another hair cut. I trust I'll have plenty of photos of Taiwan to send next P-day. We're committed to the best week yet at the MTC. We're working hard and trying to find joy in the journey. I'm grateful for the time I've had here to learn and to grow, and I'm going to try to make the best of every moment. 

I've got a lot more but no time.

All is well,
Elder Dickson

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Elder Dickson. I look forward to many mor such testimonies. Stick with that BRAT Diet for as long as you are ill do not vary too far. Your stomach and intestines need time to recover, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that you have been sick, but you seem to be learning a lot from the experience, which is probably why you are having it. In the mission field, there will be many people who have health problems - missionaries, members, and non-members. Your experience will help you to have empathy for them, and be able to teach them in a very concrete way that Jesus, through the Atonement, suffered our pains and weaknesses, and He knows exactly how they feel. He is waiting to help them and comfort them, and sometimes heal them. They are not alone, and neither are you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that you have been sick, but you seem to be learning a lot from the experience, which is probably why you are having it. In the mission field, there will be many people who have health problems - missionaries, members, and non-members. Your experience will help you to have empathy for them, and be able to teach them in a very concrete way that Jesus, through the Atonement, suffered our pains and weaknesses, and He knows exactly how they feel. He is waiting to help them and comfort them, and sometimes heal them. They are not alone, and neither are you.

    ReplyDelete