Tuesday, August 30, 2016

I'm in Taiwan!!! Think of Big Hero 6 Sanfransokyo and then make it real!

More to say than ever and I believe I am running short on time. I'm in Taiwan; I made it. The flight was crazy long, but it was fairly comfortable. I didn't sleep but maybe an hour on the plane because I was under the impression that we would go to bed upon arrival (not exactly), and I didn't sleep much the night before due to final preparations for departure. Needless to say, I slept extremely well that first night. Actually every night since arriving here I've been more tired than I've ever been in my life. Just totally drained. Perfectly content, but totally drained. I tend to pass out when it comes to be near that time of the day without my knowing it. 

Elder Hawkes and I in FengLin: Prized as being the slowest (least busy) town in Taiwan, they even have a statue of a giant snail!




My Trainer: Elder Hawkes - He's an incredible guy. He was Elder Dalton Karlinsey's last companion, and he also happens to be my district leader. We share an apartment with our zone leaders as well.

Area: HuaLien Ji'an - When I got my call I was promptly told by everyone and their dog that I was the luckiest missionary of all, that HuaLien is the most coveted area in the mission. It's gorgeous here. We're right on the coast. Our area supposedly includes some of the most beautiful natural and man-made sites in all of Taiwan. We're going hiking up a waterfall a little later today. We live in the city of Ji'an. It's not as large as Taipei by any means, but it's certainly not a small place. Our area is huge though. We took a train for about 45 minutes going south from our home town and still hadn't even gotten terribly close to the borders of our area.

In FengLin 



Views from our apartment in Ti'an





Many of these are views from the train ride we took.












More views from our apartment:




First Impressions - It was scary. I was super excited, but it was still scary (Think of Big Hero 6 Sanfransokyo and then make it real...so it's not an animated children's movie. That's the best comparison I can think of at present). We went out on the busy streets of Taipei the first night. It was loud, bright, there were a lot of things I couldn't read or understand, I didn't know the traffic laws (or rather the absence thereof), the food we ate was nothing like I'd ever had before, but I drew strength from the knowledge that the Lord had called me to do this and that He was with me. Therefore I could do it. The first night was very very busy and full of activity (then again every day is); I just about fell over from exhaustion and lack of sleep several times, but I made it alright. I went to bed with a view of the Taiwanese temple all lit up and beautiful and with the hope that tomorrow would be a better day, that I might one day call Taiwan home. The Lord has blessed me immensely in this regard. I haven't been terribly stressed about anything since leaving the MTC. I haven't gotten upset or frustrated despite difficulties. I've been healthy and adapted to all the newness very well. I woke up the second day and already felt fairly comfortable. 

Random Facts/Information - The trash trucks play Fur Elise as they drive around signalling that you need to run and get your trash to throw in the truck as they drive by, if something moves it's poisonous-- think 5 inch banana spiders and colorful snakes , I might meet them later today up in the mountains; dogs are literally everywhere and they aren't all so nice, Taiwan has no real traffic laws (just don't disturb "the flow"/throw off the emperor's groove), we are always covered in a layer of dripping sweat (just the way it is and I've come to accept it and almost not notice it), they eat a lot of marmalade over here, we had a great game of ultimate frisbee, when it rains...it really rains!

I'll share a couple of experiences in a little more detail:

The streets of Taiwan: I don't know how to express the insanity that is the streets of Taiwan. They are filled with millions of people in all forms of transportation (whether it be bikes, motorcycles, cars, automated wheelchairs, tour buses, trains, you name it), and there really aren't any formal rules/laws. There are some suggestions called lights that we personally choose to follow, but that's about it. Anyway, the first full-day in my new area, my companion and I saddled up and went. I was using a very old bike that belonged to a sister missionary long ago with what looks like a foam helmet (I plan to purchase a replacement as soon as is possible). In short, it was almost in working order. He went off and I just followed. This was pretty scary, but surprisingly I wasn't terribly fazed. This is another miracle--that I'm still alive...and even semi comfortable riding the streets. We rode in a car the other day and that's another story. I'll just say that my mom wouldn't live through such an experience!

The betel nut stand: We met a woman and her daughter who were working at a betel nut stand (betel nut is a very popular drug here) : it's a nut infused with all sorts of drugs and chemicals, but also shards of fiberglass and things...point being that as you chew it it slices your gums to shreds and the drugs enter your blood stream...its gross and horrifying to see peoples' mouths dripping with blood as they chew it...it's also highly addictive, very cheap, and is used to stay awake (popular among truck drivers and other workers with long hours on the island). We talked with them as they prepared these drugs for sale. They were very receptive. We ended up leaving them with our testimonies, a copy of the Book of Mormon, and an invitation to read and then pray and ask God to know of its truthfulness.
I know many of  you have heard of the Book of Mormon, maybe even been encouraged to avoid the book.  The adversary steers people away from this book because it testifies of Christ and is another witness of Him.  It was written by ancient prophets on the American Continent between 600 BC and 421 AD.  These prophets testified of Christ and knew of his coming beforehand just like the prophets in the Old World knew in the Holy Bible.  It does not replace the Bible, it adds another witness to the divinity of Christ.  I want to bear brief testimony of the Book of Mormon. It truly is the word of God. It has changed the lives of millions. It has changed my life and drawn me closer to Jesus Christ. I have prayed to know of its truthfulness, and I received a clear answer from God. It is true. I invite you to read it. Please read it and ask God if it be true, if it be His word. I promise you, if you read this book with a sincere desire to know of its truthfulness, and then pray, ask God if it be of Him, you will receive an answer. You will know of its truthfulness. 
Anyway, as we bore simple, sincere testimony of the Book of Mormon at  the betel nut stand,
 the Spirit was present. Please read it and learn for yourselves. It will change your life forever.

This has been the biggest week of change in my life up to this point. Taiwan is a whole new world: the people, the language, the sounds, the smells, the tastes, the sights, what's expected of me, the climate, the wildlife, the products, the methods, the customs, etc.The only thing that is constant over here is who I am as a person and my relationship and reliance on the Lord, Jesus Christ. His church and gospel are universal. My testimony of Him has only gotten stronger as I have relied wholly on Him this past week. He has blessed me in so many ways. He has blessed me with the capacity to change and adapt. He has blessed me with the ability to eat and actually enjoy much of the food. He has blessed me with the ability to speak and communicate my thoughts and feelings. I can already communicate, teach, and testify with some degree of proficiency. I know that this is not accomplished by my own power or ability; there is simply no way. He has blessed me with others who are helping me every step of the way. He has blessed me with a growing love for the people here. He has blessed me with joy. I've been happy in spite of all difficulties and change. I trust God and you can too.

I love you all! Thank you so very much for the many prayers uttered in my behalf.

All is well, 
Elder Dickson

No comments:

Post a Comment