Monday, July 24, 2017

Week 12 in Beitou: simple unexpected blessings!

 Homemade dumplings




The temple was wonderful last week. I was able to receive personal revelation to help me in my current circumstances and also maintain a more eternal perspective that has helped me as we face day-to-day difficulties characteristic of mortality. It's also amazing to have so many missionaries coming out of the Cape Ward back home. It's exciting to see the Lord hasten His work. It's a great comfort to keep in mind that it really is His work. He will make us equal to that which He asks of us. We need only trust Him and press forward in worthiness. By so doing, we will have the Spirit to comfort and guide us in the way we should go. I know that the missionaries, the families of the missionaries, the ward, and all those the missionaries come in contact with will all be blessed as we press forward in faith. I've seen it this past year. God qualifies those whom He calls.

We met with Brother Gao this past week. He's a referral from Temple Square in UT. He's 25 years old and has perfect English. We were privileged to share the Plan of Salvation with him this past week. He couldn't stop smiling. I felt true joy as I saw the joy the gospel brought to him. He was so appreciative and couldn't stop thanking us for what we do as missionaries. We're excited to continue working with him as well as his friends and family. The restored gospel of Jesus Christ is for everyone, and it blesses the lives of all who accept it.

We started a scripture class this past week. We read about Lehi's dream (1Ne.Ch.8) and had pretty good attendance. Marshmallow, Kenneth, and Brother Liu all came and enjoyed it.

Scripture class art



Benjamin is the best! He can hardly speak without bearing his testimony in one way or another. Every time we see him he tells us of a way the gospel has blessed his life since we last met (we see him on an almost daily basis). He even calls us to fellowship us sometimes. He's a good friend, and we are going to his house for lunch later today.

Kenneth finally has a calling! He's the secretary in the young men presidency; he's doing wonderfully. It's a blessing to see how the gospel is blessing his life. He's so much happier now.

MOS burger (Yes, that burger is made of rice...)


I was reminded of a lesson I learned in training this week. It's one we should all keep in mind. By turning outward and focusing on the needs of others we find true and lasting happiness regardless of our individual circumstances or even trials. Want to be happy? Turn outward :)

We got some recent "upgrades." We painted our bikes and finally got the local tracts I've been pushing for since I got to Beitou. We're super excited about this.

Upgrade installed ;)
(for carrying new local tract, phone, etc.)





Now for a testimony of blessing the food...Sunday rolled around and we realized that we once again failed to buy food for either lunch or dinner. All we had were some "flaky scallion crepes" (that's the literal translation) and some Costco muffins. It's something, but it's certainly not the most nutritious food for one who is going to be out under the Taiwanese sun all day. After debating about whether it might be healthier to fast and skip eating entirely I decided I had better just bless the food. I acknowledged that I had done wrong in not preparing well, but that we needed health and energy to do His work. I bit into the muffin to find...fruit inside! I didn't buy muffins with fruit! I looked at the packaging again and it said cranberry muffins. I've never even heard of Costco selling cranberry muffins and was certain I had purchased banana nut. Anyway, it was a miracle and we had the health and strength we needed to work effectively throughout the day.

Taiwanese tan is coming back



Elder Chang and I in his planner


End of the roaches...


We met a new investigator yesterday named Duke. It was funny. He interrupted me while I was speaking and said "it's impossible for me to believe what I'm hearing because I look at you and see a foreigner and then hear profound speech coming from somewhere!" He's just a really nice and funny guy, but I thought it was funny.

Transfers is this week. I'm come to really like Beitou and working with Elder Chang. I don't know whether I'll move or not, but if so, I will miss Beitou and the people here I've come to love and care for.
Laser tag: A fun P-day activity


All is well,
Elder Dickson

No comments:

Post a Comment