Monday, July 31, 2017

End of my time in Beitou, Week 1 in Taoyuan as Zone Leader

 Hard to say good-bye to Beitou


With English class friends


 My good friend Benjamin and Elder Chang



At Benjamin's house
 Fun pointer stick for teaching



With the Bishop in Beitou

 Celebrating a wonderful transfer with McD ice cream


 Elder Chang wrote me a song

 Elder Chang's special "lucky" bread
Elder Chang made me breakfast

Wow! It's been an exciting week! Transfer calls came, and I found out that I would be moving to Taoyuan as a zone leader. Taoyuan is the Utah of Taiwan as it has been explained to me. The members here are absolutely wonderful, and the people on the street are so very warm and willing to listen to the message we have to share. There are a ton of missionaries here (6 districts in the zone).

New place to call home in Taoyuan







With Elder Smith, my new companion


Many of my good friends are here including my "son," Elder Raley. I was also thrilled to hear that Elder Johnson is the new assistant to the president. He's an outstanding missionary and man, and I'm grateful and excited for the opportunity to continue learning from and working with him. My new companion is Elder Laker Carlos Smith from Highland, Utah (he actually reminds me a great deal of Uncle Vernon...so naturally I've taken a liking to him). He was Elder Johnson's MTC companion and had been companions with both Elder Lawrence and Elder Chang in the past. Actually, between Elder Chang, Elder Lawrence, Elder Smith, and I, the four of us have all been companions one with another at one point or another. Elder Chang calls it our little family. I of course miss Beitou. I feel like I was there for such a sort time after serving for 6 months in Miaoli, but I enjoyed the time there and was blessed to see changes both great and small in those we worked with, in the ward as a whole and our relationships with them, and also in myself as I continue to work to overcome my many weaknesses and become more like Christ.

Bike with new paint job

It's been interesting to see the family's of several missionaries I've come to know and care for a great deal. I saw both Elder Butler and Elder Coletti with their families this past week. They're both wonderful missionaries and men, and I wish them all the best as they move on to the next chapter of their lives. It's gotten to the point these last few transfers where I know missionaries going home each transfer. It's a constant reminder of just how short the mission really is.

Ward Dinner for Elder Coletti 


 JiJi


It's a great blessing to be able to serve the Lord. And actually, you don't have to be a missionary to do so. Everyone can lift where they stand and find joy and satisfaction in so doing. If you get the chance, I would invite you to take a look at this article and think about what it means for your life: The Faithful High Councilor. I know that we can find joy in life as we find opportunities to look outward and help those in need regardless of our individual circumstances. I haven't been in Taoyuan very long, but the time has been quite eventful between a typhoon hitting the island and good old Elder Dickson getting an ocular migraine that wiped him out for a few hours. Whatever the case, I'm grateful to God for the blessing it is to be in His service. I know that the Lord qualifies those whom He calls. I know I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me...and so can you.

I love you all! Thank you for your support and prayers! 

All the best to Sister Baird as she heads home and to Elders Thomsen and Thomsen and Felker as they head out in the service of the Lord! Have the best week!

All is well,
Elder Dickson

No comments:

Post a Comment